Just another WordPress.com site

Posts tagged ‘juice’

Product Placement: Tropicana Orange Juice

Hey, I’m back in GA! I do believe I got in enough baking and making my own recipes to last me a little while (or at least I can tell myself that) and I’m back and ready to continue my Product Placement. My schedule has been a bit off what with moving back into the dorms, but I’m all set to make some inroads on talking about products to buy or stay away from.

I was at a Leadership Conference the past couple of days and at breakfast there were these sleek looking black pitchers of cranberry juice, orange juice, grapefruit juice, you name it they had it. Now, I’ve already discussed my love of grape juice and apple juice  but I do love orange juice as well. I just hate pulp and generally find the juice to be too sweet. I’m very picky when it comes to my orange juice.

The point, though, is that I was lured in to believe that this jazzy design for the pitcher meat the juice had been fresh squeezed. We were at a hotel and the entire conference can only be described as needlessly swanky, so I had reasons to believe that fresh squeezed juice was not outside the realm of possibilities.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Nope. I drank the typical Tropicana juice and unfortunately didn’t realize it until the next morning that it was typical Tropicana Juice until the hotel staff moved to refill it. From a carton.

Needless to say my spirit was crushed for a bit.

This is not to say Tropicana is a bad company or that their juice is disgusting. It’s not. I was just expecting to be blown away by the fresh squeezed variety and no matter what Tropicana claims on their website about from ‘Grove to Glass’ it’s packaged and it’s loaded with sugar.

I don’t care how many vitamins and minerals the juice has because it has 28 grams of sugar per serving. Something that claims to be healthy for you should not have that much sugar. Ever. There is no excuse. I am particularly critical here because this juice falls under the category of ‘masquerading as healthy’. If people don’t read the nutrition label they won’t know that although there’s 120% of their daily Vitamin C in that 10 oz glass of juice they’re also ingesting needless amounts of excess sugar that will then need to be burned off.

There are other ways to get your vitamin C (and occasionally Vitamin D if the juice is enriched). Try eating an actual orange, eat kiwi fruits, cherries, strawberries, and even red and green peppers are high in Vitamin C. For more information on Vitamin C rich foods check out: http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/top-sources-vitamin-C-44102808

If none of these are in season (like strawberries, etc) you can always find oranges at the local supermarket and buy a small orange juicer to get the job done yourself. Small juicers like these are incredibly cheap and can be bought at a local Macy’s, or possibly even Target. You don’t need a fancy juicer in order to make healthy juice drinks. Juice away with all the health benefits and none of the added sugar.


Product Placement: Apple and White Grape Juice

I grew up on apple juice. I mixed it with water to dilute the over-sugared taste, but I swear I drank apple juice by the bottle as a child, forsaking milk and calcium for a cup of apple juice and water. My dentist can tell you how well this worked out for my teeth.

So aside from needing apple juice for the occasional out of the norm recipes, I’ve been avoiding it since I got most of my adult teeth in. 

Except it does not help that I have a similar weakness for grape juice.

So why am I writing a review of an Apple White Grape juice? You’d think that a juice which combines two of my worst enemies (both of which happen to taste phenomenal) would be my undoing and that by the time I finish this Product Placement review I will have melted into a puddle of goo fallen prey to my addiction to fruit juice drinks. Thankfully this is not the case. Because thankfully I found Mott’s for Tots. This subset of the famous Mott’s company created Mott’s for Tots Apple White Grape juice that has only 15 grams of sugar which has about half the sugar of  Mott’s Pure Apple Juice which has 28 grams of sugar and double the calories.

The juice tastes great too. It’s healthier and it shows. It’s not too sweet and the blend of juices is a perfect combination of flavors where one is never over powering the other. Is it perfect though? Has a juice company really created the pinnacle of the juicing experience?

No. The juice is unfortunately made from concentrate with only 53% juice. Judging by the ingredients though, it seems as if the remaining 47% must be water because all the ingredients are pronounceable and are as follows:

Purified water, apple and white grape juice concentrates, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), natural flavors.

For 64 oz (2 qts) the Apple White Grape costs $3.49. Check it out if you’re interested in a healthy juice drink that is most certainly not just for tots.